Introduction to Applied Linguistics for language educators (with Dr. Chantelle Warner, German Studies, UA)
Open Educational Resource (OER) supported through the Center for Educational Resources in Culture, Language and Literacy (CERCLL) at the University of Arizona. This resource book provides a coherent introductory understanding of key concepts in applied linguistics for pre-service teachers and MA/undergrad students in the related fields of education and modern languages. It consists of a series of stand-alone chapters written by experts in the field. The chapters have a concise introduction to the topic and include reflective activities and opportunities for analysis and interpretation of data to help readers understand and engage with current debates and conversations in the field.
Qualitative Interviewer Talk
This study seeks to contribute to research interviews for qualitative analysis as a method for data generation in applied linguistics. It consists of a rich description of linguistic and discourse structures that are recurrent in experienced interviewer discourse and the functions for which they are used within semi-structured interviews. The analysis combines both a vertical quantitative corpus linguistic analysis and a horizontal, qualitative, turn by turn, conversation analysis of interviewer talk.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Fernández, J. (2022). Corpus linguistics in L2 pragmatics research. Applied Pragmatics, 4(2), 178–198.
- Fernández, J., McGregor J., Yuldashev, A. (2021). Discursive enactment of agency in study abroad interviews. Modern Language Journal, 105(4), 877-896.
- Rockey, C., Tiegs, J., & Fernández, J. (2020). Mobile application use in technology enhanced DCTs. CALICO Journal, 37(1), 85–108.
- Gabrielsen, N., & Fernández, J. (2020). Equal access to the United States legal system for multilingual users of English. TESOL Journal, 11(1), 1–5.
- McGregor, J., & Fernández, J. (2019). Theorizing qualitative interviews: Two autoethnographic reconstructions. Modern Language Journal, 103(1), 227–247.
- Fernández, J. (2018). “I think I sound stupid if I try to use those words”: The role of metapragmatic awareness in the study abroad language classroom. Foreign Language Annals, 51(2), 430–454.
- Fernández, J. (2017). The language functions of tipo in Argentine vernacular. Journal of Pragmatics, 114, 87–103.
- Fernández, J., & Gates Tapia, A. N. (2016). An appraisal of the language contact profile as a tool to research local engagement in study abroad. Study Abroad Research in Second Language Acquisition and International Education, 1(2), 248–276.
- Fernández, J., & Yuldashev, A. (2015). Using a corpus-informed pedagogical intervention to develop awareness toward appropriate lexicogrammatical choices. L2 Journal, 7(4), 91–107.
- Fernández, J. (2015). General extender use in spoken peninsular Spanish: Metapragmatic awareness and pedagogical implications. Journal of Spanish Language Teaching, 2(1), 1–17.
- Fernández, J., Gates Tapia, A. N., & Lu, X. (2014). Oral proficiency and pragmatic marker use in L2 spoken Spanish: The case of pues and bueno. Journal of Pragmatics, 74, 150–164.
- Yuldashev, A., Fernández, J., & Thorne, S. L. (2013). Second language learners' contiguous and discontiguous multi-word unit use over time. Modern Language Journal, 97(1), 31–45.
- Fernández, J., & Yuldashev, A. (2011). Variation in the use of general extenders and stuff in instant messaging interactions. Journal of Pragmatics, 23, 2610–2626.
Refereed Book Chapters & Encyclopedia Entries
- Fernández, J. (accepted). Pragmatics in learner corpora. In N. Taguchi & D. Kadar (Eds.). The encyclopedia of applied linguistics (2nd Ed).
- McGregor, J. & Fernández, J. (2022) A critical appraisal of research interviews as a qualitative method of data generation in study abroad research. In J. McGregor & J. L. Plews (Eds.). Designing Second Language Study Abroad Research: Critical Reflections on Methods and Data (pp. 113-131). New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Fernández, J., & Davis, T. (2021). Overview of available learner corpora. In N. Tracy-Ventura & M. Paquot (Eds.), The Routledge handbook of second language acquisition and corpora (pp. 145–157). New York: Routledge.
- Fernández, J., & Staples, S. (2021). Pragmatic approaches. In N. Tracy-Ventura & M. Paquot (Eds.), The Routledge handbook of second language acquisition and corpora (pp. 240–251). New York: Routledge.
- Staples, S., & Fernández, J. (2019). Corpus linguistics approaches to L2 pragmatics research. In N. Taguchi (Ed.), The Routledge handbook of second language acquisition and pragmatics (pp. 241–254). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Asención Delaney, Y., & Fernández, J. (2016). Spanish speech acts. In C. A. Chapelle (Ed.), The encyclopedia of applied linguistics (pp. 1–8). Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell. DOI: 10.1002/9781405198431.wbeal1483
- Fernández, J. (2016). Authenticating language choices: Out-of-class interactions in study abroad. In R. A. van Compernolle & J. McGregor (Eds.). Authenticity, language and interaction in second language contexts (pp. 131–150). Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Fernández, J. (2013). A corpus-based study of vague language use by learners of Spanish in a study abroad context. In C. Kinginger. (Ed.), Social and cultural aspects of language learning in study abroad (pp. 299–332). Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Fernández, J. (2022). Guillermo Rojo. Introducción a la lingüística de corpus en español. New York: Routledge, April 5, 2021. [404 pages] [ISBN 9780367635848]. Hispania, 105(3), 477-479.
- Gale, H., & Fernández, J. (2016). Should we be teaching taboo language in the ESL classroom? AL Forum.
- Bobrova, L. & Lantolf, J., with Lee, S-H, Kim, J., & Fernández, J. (2012). Metaphor and Pedagogy. (CALPER Working Paper Series 11). The Pennsylvania State University: Center for Advanced Language Proficiency Education and Research.